Patchwork Hand Towel
These easy to make towels are great for your kitchen or great to make for a gift.
Finished Block size is 6"
Supplies: (These instructions make 1 towel. You can actually make 2 towels with one towel. They are cut in half.)
* (1) Hand towel by Wimpole Street #DTL-CBA (set of 6 color band towels)
* 1/4 yd each, medium green, coordinating light green, pink checkerboard fabric (block)
* 1/4 yd muslin (backing)
* Stitchin’ Up the Pieces Buttons, these buttons are designed to be used like actual quilt pieces. The center button is 1" square with additional buttons to look like a quilt block! (Please email for colors.)
* 1/3 yd cotton batting, The Warm Co.®
* Dual Duty XP All-purpose thread to match fabric and/or buttons, Coats & Clark®
* Invisible thread, Coats & Clark®
* KK2000 “green” Temporary Spray Adhesive, Sulky®
* Fray Check®
* 1/4” Wonder Tape (double sided tape), Dritz®
* Basic sewing supplies, walking foot, 1/4” quilting foot, darning foot
Cut the Fabric
From the pink checkerboard fabric, cut:
* (4) 2" red squares (block)
* (2) 1-1/2" x 10" strips (ties)
From the green coordinating fabric, cut:
* (4) 3-1/2" x 2" rectangles
* (1) 6-1/2" squares (backing for blocks)
From the medium green fabric, cut:
* (1) 3-1/2" squares
Make the Towel:
1. Cut the towel in half cross-grain.
2. Sew 2 rows of basting stitching along the cut edge of towel.
3. Gather the stitching to make the towel 6" wide. Tie a knot with the gathered threads. Set aside.
Make the Block:
1. Sew a light coordinating green 3-1/2" x 2" rectangle to opposite sides of the medium green 3-1/2" square. Press toward center.
2. Sew a pink checkerboard 2" square on the ends of the remaining light coordinating green 3-1/2" x 2" rectangles. Press toward pink.
3. Sew the strips from Step 2 to opposite sides of center block. Press toward center.
Quilt the Blocks:
1. Cut a piece of muslin and batting 1" larger than the block.
2. Layer the pieces in this order; muslin, batting (sprayed with KK2000 temporary adhesive), block (face up).
3. Quilt in a loopy design or as desired with invisible thread.
3. Trim edges straight.
Sew the Block to the Towel:
1. Pin towel right sides together with the block. Leave a 1/4" overhang of the block on each side of the towel.
2. Sew a 1/4" seam across the gathering, backstitch at each end, as shown.
Make the Ties:
1. Fold and press 1/4" on both long edges of ties, toward the wrong side of fabric.
2. Fold in half again and sew close to both folded edges. Use Fray Check to secure raw ends.
3. Pin ties to the right side of blocks. See photo for placement.
Finish the Towel:
1. Sew right sides together the light green backing and the block on three sides. Leave the towel edge open. Trim the corners off prior to turning right side out, as shown.
2. Turn the green backing under 1/4" and slip-stitch the opening closed, incasing the gathers from towel.
1. With the double-stick tape, position the buttons where desired. See photo for placement. Note: do not put tape where the holes are. The sewing needle will get sticky.
2. With a needle and thread or your sewing machine, sew the buttons into place.
3. With Fray Check secure the stitching on the back.